[arch-general] Nvidia, fuck you again

Iyán Méndez Veiga me at iyanmv.com
Mon Dec 6 16:40:12 UTC 2021

On Monday 6 December 2021 17:11:59 CET David Rosenstrauch via arch-general
wrote:
> On 12/6/21 10:54 AM, Iyán Méndez Veiga via arch-general wrote:
> > I have a GTX 1070 which is (in theory) fully supported by nvidia, and I
> > don't expect them to drop the support for a few more years. I mean, even
> > the GeForce 700 Series are still supported (~8 years old) in the latest
> > 495.44.
> >
> > So, as I said, I think 495.44 is buggy, and 470.86 is fully compatible
> > with
> > linux 5.15.x. So anyone with issues should simply use the 470.xx packages
> > from AUR until nvidia releases a new version.
>
> I've not heard anything about 495.44 being buggy.  Rather, I think your
> issue is that that version of the driver no longer supports your card.
> I have a GTK 1050 Ti and it works fine; I just need to use the 470.86
> version.

Can you double check before saying nonsense?

Of course the GTX 1070 is supported [1]. You just need to select "New Feature
Branch" instead of "Production Branch" in those links you sent here.

Your GTX 1050 Ti is also supported in the 495.44 by the way.

> You can see at the nvidia driver search/download site that your 1070 is
> only supported by the 470 version of the driver:
>
> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/183575/en-us

Not true.

> Install the following packages from AUR and you should be fine:
>
> libxnvctrl-470xx 470.86-1
> nvidia-470xx-dkms 470.86-3
> nvidia-470xx-settings 470.86-1
> nvidia-470xx-utils 470.86-3
> opencl-nvidia-470xx 470.86-3

Yes, I used those, but not for the reason you gave.

Cheers,
Iyán

[1]: https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/495.44/README/
supportedchips.html