[arch-general] Why move LTS to 5.10 when VirtualBox guests Kernel Panic with 5.10?

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 14:37:09 UTC 2021

Am 17.02.21 um 15:18 schrieb Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general:
> Em fevereiro 17, 2021 11:07 Jens John via arch-general escreveu:
>>
>> I just would recommend to always add the kernel packages to pacman's IgnorePkg list, and upgrade
>> them only in a strictly controlled way. You can't trust a volunteer project like Arch to take all
>> issues into consideration.
>>

> Holding back the kernel can have unintended consequences and it's not a good idea. Of course,
> new kernels can have bugs and introduce issues, so, temporarily downgrading and reporting the issue
> is encouraged, while, indefinitely holding back kernels, isn't. Instead of holding back kernels, one
> should instead build their own needed version.

One could vote for keeping the linux-tls on 5.4 as long as linux is also an lts release and when
linux has moved to the next non-lts then linux-tls would be set to the newes lts available. In this
case:

linux is 5.10 -> linux-lts stays at 5.4
linux becomes 5.11 -> linux-lts is upgraded to 5.10

But this is up to the maintainers of linux and linux-lts.

Regards,

	Uwe