[arch-general] dracut roll-out plan?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 24 14:51:36 UTC 2021

On 1/24/21 9:20 AM, Leonidas Spyropoulos via arch-general wrote:
> On 23/01/21, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> There is no plan. Dracut is an optional alternative, because Arch is all
>> about choice. People who like dracut are welcome to use it.
>>

> According to Wiki you can test it and switch to it if you think it's
> working - then remove mkinitcpio. So if one want to make sure dracut is
> working how does {s}he test it?

I presume by trying to boot using it.

> You cannot compare the initfsram files created as dracut contains the
> microcode image also.
>
> Furthermore neither the wiki [1] not the man page [2] is a mention on
> the HOOKS [3] that mkinitcpio uses. Is there something similar for
> dracut or it's not required For example: will it automatically execute
> `btrfs device scan` as the `btrfs` HOOK would do in mkinitcpio?

I dunno, try it and see? Though my understanding is, dracut is less
configurable and far more automatic probe-y. Chances are if it detects a
btrfs filesystem of any sort, it will assume you need to probe for
multi-device btrfs volumes at boot, and do so without asking or being
configured.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User