[arch-general] archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.conf.5.html from Aug-2019

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 7 11:48:05 UTC 2021

On 6/7/21 5:43 AM, David C. Rankin via arch-general wrote:
> On 6/7/21 3:56 AM, Lone_Wolf via arch-general wrote:
>> Maybe you could test with a console terminal like getty / agetty instead of a
>> terminal emulator ?
>>

>> Try setting ParallelDownloads = 0  in pacman.conf .
>>
>> LW
>
> Good thought, but ...
>
> error: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 38: value for 'ParallelDownloads'
> has to be positive : '0'
>
> So it appears we have a new "feature" that is rendered a "bug" for some
> because it cannot be turned off :(

Zero parallel downloads, i.e. downloading zero things at a time, seems
like it would be a serious regression from pacman 5, given you could not
ever download anything.

Seriously, this thread feels weird. If you don't like ParallelDownloads,
the natural first step is to disable it after reading the manpage to see
how it works. Instead we're getting all kinds of wild assertions about
easter eggs being "damn kids with crayons", even though it's been in
your pacman since 2006.

(I do not care if someone else suggested it might help. You could have
figured out it would not help, and then just not complained about it.)

It's hard to take your problem seriously when you come across as...
weirdly grumpy... about it. It sort of feels like you don't truly want
the solution, and actually trying to help you out with a solution would
entail fighting you to force you to accept it.

On 6/7/21 5:45 AM, David C. Rankin via arch-general wrote:
> ParallelDownloads = 1
>
> works (and hopefully that means 1 at-a-time and not 1 + 1 in
> parallel...

... Ok, so if it works then that means your output is happy now, right?
Does it even *matter* if your output is happy, but you're retrieving 2
things in parallel? Your objective here was to get uncorrupted output...
*right*?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User