[arch-general] definition of "orphan"

Lars Gustäbel lars at gustaebel.de
Thu Mar 11 15:15:19 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 03:51:35PM +0100, Matthias Bodenbinder via arch-general wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, dem 11.03.2021 um 11:23 -0300 schrieb Giancarlo
> Razzolini:
> > This is different from the orphan in the context of a package
> > manager.
> > As long as you don't conflate
> > both contexts, it's very easy to understand the differences between
> > these orphans.
>

> Sure, I understand the differences.
>
> It is simply confusing and not best practise to take a defintion from
> pacman (which was first in line from my point of view) and overwrite it
> with a new definition for the AUR. And then explain the users: "Well
> that is how it is. An orphan can be this or that in the Arch world. You
> just need to understand the context."
>
> I dont get why someone wants to have it that way.

Erm, I would even go so far as to say that "orphan" is not a definition at all.
It is the simple usage of a common word to convey a certain meaning or concept
that is exactly the same in both contexts and that most people intuitively
understand. The decision to use this terminology was not made by a committee.

I really don't know what you're trying to prove here. I would be interested in
which words you would propose to distinguish between the two contexts.

--
Lars Gustäbel
lars at gustaebel.de