[arch-general] definition of "orphan"

Matthias Bodenbinder matthias at bodenbinder.de
Thu Mar 11 15:24:49 UTC 2021

Am Donnerstag, dem 11.03.2021 um 16:15 +0100 schrieb Lars Gustäbel:
> I really don't know what you're trying to prove here. I would be
> interested in
> which words you would propose to distinguish between the two
> contexts.

The pacman defintion is a local definition which only applies to an
individual PC. If I have an orphan package on my PC, it is not
neccessarily an orphan on your PC.

The AUR definition of orphan is a global definition. Meaning, an orphan
AUR package is orphan for everybody. I would distinguish this use case
by calling it "abandoned" instead or oprhan.