[arch-general] nvidia causing audio glitches

Paul Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 08:27:32 UTC 2021

I've had this problem ever since I got this laptop[1]: I get audio
glitches with both pulseaudio and pipewire, through *all* audio sinks
(built-in, USB soundcard, bluetooth). It seems to become more severe
after a suspend/resume cycle.

I've discovered that the symptoms go away completely if I set the
discrete NVIDIA graphics card PowerMizer setting to "Preferred Mode:
Prefer Maximum Performance". So it seems there's something about the
hardware's low-power behaviour that causes this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a clearer
understanding of the cause? Is this something we can take to NVIDIA
with any realistic hope of a fix?

Paul

[1] Dell Inspiron 7590, Intel Core i5-9300H, GTX 1650