[arch-general] nvidia causing audio glitches

Olivier Langlois olivier at olivierlanglois.net
Wed Mar 17 11:37:05 UTC 2021

I have a good idea of what your problem is. I had this issue long time
ago with a hpmini laptop.

The problem did end up with me sending a patch for a realteak wifi
driver.

The glitch that you hear is the symptom of the sound card interrupt not
delivered in time.

You can validate this symptom by using the ALSA command line tools such
as aplay.

You would see the error about an underflow each time that you hear a
glitch.

So what is causing this?

Usually, it is caused by a badly written driver that is masking the
interrupts for too long.

Even if the driver is masking locally the interrupts on a single core,
it will end up putting all the system interrupts to a stall because of
the round-robin interrupt balance algo, they will all end up on the
masked core pretty fast.

If possible, try to switch drivers from Nvidia to the open source one.
As a workaround, you may explore the option to pin your sound card to a
specific core to see if it helps.

Greetings,