[arch-general] NEW RECORD! 769 packages out of date

Samir Nassar samirnassar at posteo.de
Wed Nov 3 11:07:09 UTC 2021

On Wednesday 3 November 2021 11:47:32 CET Vasi Vilvoiu via arch-general wrote:
> That's unfair to your userbase. There's no way for people to contribute
> to core packages, period. Community packages require being a TU, which
> as far as I know is not an easy process to go through. The AUR does not
> accept "under any circumstances"[1] packages already in community/core.

I don't see how not having access to to the Arch Linux infrastructure stops
you or anyone from collaborating on fixes using ones own resources. Whether you
use a platform such as GitHub, GitLab straight up hosting the assets yourself
all work.

If I were an outsider to a project, and I am, and want to help, I would start
by hosting my own diffs and doing so on a regular basis so that others can see
how reliable I am, how transparent I am, and how willing I am to show my
capacity to learning from others. The biggest single asset outsiders to a
technical project bring is the ability to work with others.

In this day of next-to-free hosting and cheap project management tooling
solving your own problem with the so-called outdated packages is really
accessible. The individuals clamoring for these really really really important
and urgent updates could solve their own problem and patch their own systems
within a week by actually working together and hosting their own patched
updates.

Regards,
--
Samir Nassar