[arch-general] [arch-gen] Qt wayland DEs?

Javier je-vv at e.email
Sun Nov 7 01:55:05 UTC 2021

I'm currently using LXQt + KWin.  LXQt is not landing in Wayland any time soon.  There's no hurry, but I would like to know about other non plasma Qt DEs working on Wayland.  I'm aware on Liri, however I don't know how light it is compared to LXQt + K Win, or Plasma itself, and also how usable/stable it is.  One concern is performance, responsiveness, and resources usage, given it's not exactly based on Qt, but rather QML instead.

I read about another Qt DE working on Wayland, paperDE, however it uses Wayfire instead of KWin, and I'd prefer using KWin and compositor, but there's currently no DE offering such combination, except by Plasma, or so it seems...  Again, I'd like to know how usable/stable it is, how light it is, and how does it compare to LXQt (Xorg it'll be, given its lack of Wayland support), and how it compares in terms of performance, responsiveness and resources.

Liri, by being the 1st Qt DE, has the most amount of time dealing with Wayland, it should be quiet usable/stable, compared to the newcomers, but that might only be a bad supposition.

Is there any other DE I might be missing, hopefully using KWin and oriented toward being as light as it could be?

BTW, just in case that counts, I only planning to be able to use pipewire for screen/desktop sharing, and not for audio at all, since I prefer plain alsa, so I don't want a strict requirement for pipewire audio support.

Thanks a lot !

--
Javier