[arch-general] Fwd: glibc flagged out-of-date

Archange archange at archlinux.org
Sat Nov 13 22:58:00 UTC 2021

Le 14 novembre 2021 02:52:40 GMT+04:00, KSP Atlas via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> a écrit :
>I'm pretty sure libc updates are very difficult to do and require recompiling a lot of packages.
>
>On 13 November 2021 21:56:35 GMT, Fabiano Furtado Pessoa Coelho via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>>Hi....
>>
>>Why is Arch Linux core repository still using glibc version 2.33? Why
>>not upgrade the core repository to version 2.34, since it was flagged
>>out-of-date on 2021-08-02?
>>
>>Thanks.

This has been partly discussed recently already, but regarding what is generally called as “tooling” (libc, gcc, etc.) upgrades can be very complex indeed, especially while trying to make package reproducibles, which is one of the somewhat recent Arch goals.

So this update is in the pipeline, actually they have been several peoples working on this lately, so it will happen at some point.

But as I said in a recent thread, updating a package is not just about using your editor of choice to change the pkgver line.

Regards,
Bruno/Archange