[arch-general] Difficulty installing UEFI

Konstantin Gizdov arch at kge.pw
Mon Nov 15 22:11:04 UTC 2021

On 11/16/21 00:06, Paul M. Foster via arch-general wrote:
> On 11/15/21 4:52 PM, Bjoern Franke via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a 2017 Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 that I'm using to try to install
>>> Arch on a hard drive. I've formatted the drive (under Arch, using fdisk,
>>> with gpt partition, etc.), gone through the installation up to the point
>>> where I run grub-install with this command:
>>>
>>> grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck
>>>

>> what device did you use for installing? Did you select "Boot UEFI"? Is
>> "BIOS Legacy"-mode enabled in BIOS?
>>
>> Regards
>> Bjoern
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean. I used a thumb drive with the Arch
> ISO on it, and tweaked the BIOS to boot that drive first.
>
> Paul

There are two places where this is important. First, when creating a USB
stick with an Arch ISO, you need to create it as a UEFI bootable USB
stick. Then you also need to boot that USB stick in UEFI mode when
trying to install to a machine.

If you do not create a UEFI compatible USB in the first place, you won't
be able to boot it in UEFI mode later. However, even if you have a UEFI
USB, you can still boot it in legacy support mode (BIOS) and that will
not install/enable UEFI support on your new installation.

--
Regards,
Konstantin