[arch-general] Difficulty installing UEFI

Paul M. Foster paulf at quillandmouse.com
Tue Nov 16 01:48:15 UTC 2021

On 11/15/21 5:11 PM, Konstantin Gizdov via arch-general wrote:
> On 11/16/21 00:06, Paul M. Foster via arch-general wrote:
>> On 11/15/21 4:52 PM, Bjoern Franke via arch-general wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> what device did you use for installing? Did you select "Boot UEFI"? Is
>>> "BIOS Legacy"-mode enabled in BIOS?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Bjoern
>> Not sure I understand what you mean. I used a thumb drive with the Arch
>> ISO on it, and tweaked the BIOS to boot that drive first.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> There are two places where this is important. First, when creating a USB
> stick with an Arch ISO, you need to create it as a UEFI bootable USB
> stick. Then you also need to boot that USB stick in UEFI mode when
> trying to install to a machine.
>
> If you do not create a UEFI compatible USB in the first place, you won't
> be able to boot it in UEFI mode later. However, even if you have a UEFI
> USB, you can still boot it in legacy support mode (BIOS) and that will
> not install/enable UEFI support on your new installation.

Well, I created this USB stick with dd. I used the basic ISO available
on the Arch download mirrors. I'm assuming from what you say that a
stick built from dd wouldn't satisfy what you're saying. If that's the
case, how do you prepare a USB stick as a UEFI device, and then how
would you then copy the ISO to it properly?

Paul