[arch-general] Fwd: glibc flagged out-of-date

Olivier Langlois olivier at olivierlanglois.net
Thu Nov 18 07:36:44 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-11-15 at 17:46 -0300, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general
wrote:
> Em novembro 13, 2021 18:56 Fabiano Furtado Pessoa Coelho via arch-
> general escreveu:
> > Hi....
> >
> > Why is Arch Linux core repository still using glibc version 2.33?
> > Why
> > not upgrade the core repository to version 2.34, since it was
> > flagged
> > out-of-date on 2021-08-02?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Mostly time. Toolchain updates are very time consuming, even using
> the build server
> Arch has. I got some help recently and I'm working to finish the
> update soon, as well
> as I'm trying to lay a better foundation for future updates.
>
> Updating the toolchain is sometimes a trial and error process, with
> the added issue that
> it takes hours between your error and you noticing that error. I got
> some emails regarding
> this and I wish to thank everyone that asked me directly regarding
> this.
>
> Regards,
> Giancarlo Razzolini

You are going to be a pro soon. I feel the pain. I once wanted to build
recent gcc/glibc libs for a CentOS7 box and those packages PKGBUILD
files were my guidelines to succeed in doing it.

Pierre, the previous maintainer, left notes about bootstrapping 3
packages (gcc -> binutils -> glibc) then, according to the notes, you
need perform a second pass...

I'm not even sure if all this is neccessary or not... but the whole
thing is very tedious.. This is why despite getting my hands on the
latest versions of those packages is burning me, I refrain from
building them myselves and I just wait the official release...

On the bright side, once you have done it, this becomes a mecanical
process and a second nature...

Hopefully, once you get the process smooth, you are going to stay the
maintainer for a long time!

Greetings,