[arch-general] fetchmail/exim line length messages

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 19:06:42 UTC 2021

Hi DR,

> fetchmail: SMTP error: 550 maximum allowed line length is 998 octets,
> got 1047

That's a very long-standing rule on SMTP.

> bounces+11930396-d424-darose=darose.net at sendgrid.meetup.com
> I'm not sure what, if anything, has changed recently to start causing
> this.

Have they something in common, e.g. all being bounced to
sendgrid.meetup.com which indicates it's a problem with what the remote
side is feeding fetchmail?

Also, fetchmail(1)'s -v option will show the dialogue it has with the
remote and local servers; this will confirm it's being fed invalid SMTP
by the remote one.

--
Cheers, Ralph.