[arch-general] Firefox Ctrl-W

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Mon Oct 25 20:16:20 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-22 11:56, Paul Dann via arch-general wrote:
> Has anyone been able to figure out how to disable the Ctrl-W shortcut
> in
> Firefox? As a Vim user I'm constantly accidentally closing tabs when I
> want
> to delete the last word in a text field.

Yes.

You can either patch Firefox sources and then build it yourself or
hot-patch the binary after build. If you want the first approach, look
up the patch from the repo of the author of Firenvim, I believe he
maintains a source patch. If you want the latter approach you can use my
patch script here:

https://github.com/alerque/que-firefox/blob/master/bin/patch-firefox.sh

Just note you have to run this every time you update Firefox.

To my knowledge there are no other ways to make the CTRL+W hotkey combo
into something you can configure yourself, it is just hard coded without
being patched.

Caleb