[arch-general] Odd unicode glyph rendering issues

Mark Raynsford list+org.archlinux.archgeneral at io7m.com
Mon Apr 4 16:19:47 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-04T15:48:54 +0200
LuKaRo via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> What about the list of installed packages? Are there any notable
> differences? Maybe make a diff on the output of pacman -Q :)

Nothing notable, in this case, however...

On 2022-04-04T15:59:29 +0100
Ralph Corderoy via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > What about the list of installed packages? Are there any notable
> > differences?  Maybe make a diff on the output of pacman -Q :)
>
> Also, compare the output of fc-list(1) on each machine?

It looks like this might be the culprit. I aggressively went through
the working machine and removed any font that wasn't present on the
non-working machine. Now, neither machine works!

So now the issue is that even though both machines have been configured
to use the same font all along, clearly the one that _was_ working was
falling back to some other font for the glyphs the selected font didn't
have.

I'm not sure if there's a sane way to find out what exactly was
happening there. Ideally I'd like both machines to work.

--
Mark Raynsford | https://www.io7m.com