[arch-general] Odd unicode glyph rendering issues

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 16:51:30 UTC 2022

Hi Mark,

> > Also, compare the output of fc-list(1) on each machine?
>
> It looks like this might be the culprit.  I aggressively went through
> the working machine and removed any font that wasn't present on the
> non-working machine.  Now, neither machine works!

Progress!  How did you remove the fonts from the working machine?
Delete pacman packages containing them?  Have you a record of what you
removed?

> So now the issue is that even though both machines have been configured
> to use the same font all along

No, it sounds like the same search for a font was configured on both and
the search resulted in a different font.  Have you perused
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fonts ?

> clearly the one that _was_ working was falling back to some other font
> for the glyphs the selected font didn't have.

Or it was choosing a different font to the non-working machine for the
same search criteria.

> I'm not sure if there's a sane way to find out what exactly was
> happening there.  Ideally I'd like both machines to work.

Get the working one working once again and see what matches against the
search criteria configured in the program.  fc-match(1) can be helpful.

--
Cheers, Ralph.