[arch-general] not able to execute commands on tty

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Mon Apr 25 16:45:32 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-25 at 17:32:50 +0100,
Mike Cloaked via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 4:56 PM Frank via arch-general <
> arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> > #add Perl and Perl modules to file path
> > export PATH="$(PATH):/usr/bin/core_perl/"
> > export PATH="$(PATH):/usr/bin/vendor_perl/"
> > export PATH="$(PATH):/usr/bin/site_perl/"
> >
> This looks wrong.  This would presumably try to change the path three
> times and only store the last one - but even that looks wrong.

That's the right construct, but as someone else pointed out, the
parentheses should be braces.

The idea is that for desired each element in PATH, there's exactly one
line of code.  It's easy to copy/paste a new one or delete an old one,
and it makes for clean/cleaner diffs.

> PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/core_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/site_perl

If I do that, and decide that I don't want vendor_perl anymore, then I
have to edit (carefully!) the middle of that line, and that (the
standard line-oriented) diff will show me only a monolithic before/after
picture.

In the OP's scheme, I can delete one complete line, and diff will show
very clearly what I deleted.

(I'm not claiming that your scheme is unworkable, or that text editors
or other tools are incapable of assisting.  I am claiming that the OP's
scheme has its advantages and is definitely not wrong, modulo the curly
braces.)