[arch-general] Python nightmare

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:16:34 UTC 2022

Op vr 19 aug. 2022 04:00 schreef admin--- via arch-general <
arch-general at lists.archlinux.org>:

> Hi guys,
>
> Recently tried to install Spyder IDE but i got a ton of errors, so after
> trying different approaches I found that probably doing it through
> Anaconda would be better.

Ok, first question: how did you install these applications? Was it an Arch
package or from source? Or even another packager like PIP?

And try first with AUR, but never could, so I
> download Anacondas installer and after a huge amount of time it got
> installed. So there it was Anaconda + Spyder  etc.... however I started
> to get a ton of Python related warnings and error every time I updated
> (pacman -Syu), so i ended up removing Anconda and everything else. But
> now i still getting errors like...
>
> advertencia: no se pudo obtener información del archivo
> usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/btrfsutil.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
> advertencia: no se pudo obtener información del archivo
>
> usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/_distutils_hack/__pycache__/override.cpython-310.pyc
> advertencia: no se pudo obtener información del archivo
> usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/jaraco.text-3.8.1.dist-info/

Hint: use
LANG=C pacman -Syu
If you seek help on an international mailing list. Messages in English are
a lot easier to work with. :)

> [...]
>
> So, does anybody has seen or been in something like this? any hints how
> can I "purge" "remove" or deinstall properly the buggy libraries and
> reinstall everything properly?
>
> Hope someone have a good pointer. Thanks in advance.

Well, it looks like your python installation is messed up. Hence my
question about installing from source.

Could you try to use these (broken) applications as another user? With a
bit of luck, it's only the personal environment that got broken.
If it doesn't work with another user, then you might have corrupted the
files. Perhaps that can be fixed by reinstalling the packages (from a known
good source), otherwise it's probably time to reinstall Arch completely and
restore the user data from backup.

Of course, this being Linux, you could also opt to check each file under
/usr with pacman. (Can this be done the other way around? By letting pacman
test the integrity of each installed pkg?).

There's nothing wrong with a little manual work, I'm just guessing that
starting from scratch might be faster, depending on the damage.

Mvg, Guus Snijders