[arch-general] Power Management on Thinkpad W530

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at m2x.dev
Sun Feb 13 19:38:34 UTC 2022

On 13/02/2022 14:03, naicam|ne via arch-general wrote:
> This decrease in life happened quickly but it was in terms of a couple
> of weeks, not a couple of days. I couldn't say how many cycles it's been
> through. I bought the laptop refurbished, and I dont know the condition
> of the battery at that time, other than I got about 2.5 hrs of usage
> from it on windows 10.

Yeah, this is the problem when batteries fail. From my experience,
you'll see capacity decrease in a large chunk when one of the cells
fail, so for a three-cell power pack you'd see a ~33% capacity drop very
quickly when one cell fails.

A battery starting at 50% capacity is an indication it's already old,
and I'd suspect at least one cell has failed.

This said, it still might be worth checking for a BIOS update if you
haven't already as these also include fixes for battery controllers.