[arch-general] Why is README stripped from gawk package?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jan 9 14:04:51 UTC 2022

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:31:16 +0100, Uwe Koloska via arch-general wrote:
>Am 09.01.22 um 06:10 schrieb mpan via arch-general:
>>
>>    If anything is missing, consider filing a bug report to gawk
>> developers at <bug-gawk at gnu.org>.
>
>Why should upstream follow Arch's rules when installing? It is the
>responsibility of the Arch maintainer to provide the README file in
>the right place -- when it is useful, as in this case.

If the README is useful for the user who doesn't compile it herself,
then it makes no sense to expect that packagers need to care about
something upstream stripped, especially not if upstream is the GNU
project. To my knowledge it is the GNU project that expects that
everything necessary to build or run software is included by the source
in an easy to understand way and in a way making it easy to get, hence
forming an opinion what to include to a package, that is stripped by
upstream shouldn't be needed.

However, what do I miss that makes the README useful for end users?

https://github.com/gvlx/gawk/blob/master/README

To my understanding it contains information useful for somebody
compiling or packaging it, but it's useless for the end user who
installed it by a package.