[arch-general] 5.18 reboot halts on "kvm: exiting virtual machine", requires hard reset

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 07:20:43 UTC 2022

All,

   My server will no longer reboot with kernels from about 5.18.5 or so on.
The reboot stops after everything is shut down and reboot is called, but the
next line on the error output on the screen says something like:

        kvm: exiting virtual machine

   At this point the box is hardlocked and I have to use the hardware reset
button to finish the reboot (not good on remote admin'ed machines) I have two
boxes that have developed this issue and both have older AMD video cards, so I
wonder if this failure to reboot is related to:

   https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/74346

   Could the amdgpu null-pointer bug on boot be what is causing the reboot to
hang? How would you test/verify?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.