[arch-general] pacman Segfault on full system update

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:11:20 UTC 2022

Op vr 24 jun. 2022 10:54 schreef David C. Rankin via arch-general <
arch-general at lists.archlinux.org>:

> I have an Arch guest in VirtualBox running on an Arch server. I installed
> virtualbox-bin 1-34-2 from AUR with 5.18 patch and the install on the host
> went fine.
>
> I access the guest headless using rdesktop over the LAN. (have done so for
> years). Doing a full system update from 5.17.7 to 5.18.6 (about 25 days of
> updates) on guest.
>
> Pacman segfaulted leaving post transaction hooks unrun. I reinstalled the
> kernel and systemd to force the initrd to be made so the guest is bootable.

Perhaps you already did so, but did you check the health of the host
(filesystem & RAM)?

You mentioned a couple of errors, like segfaults and decompression errors.
Especially that last one sounds like a corruption somewhere....

As these errors happened in a VM, is it possible to copy the virtual
harddisk to another host (hardware) and trying again?

To be honest: the RAM is my first suspect, but it could very well be an io
error on the underlying host. I really doubt that it's caused by the
installed software.

Mvg, Guus Snijders