[arch-general] pacman Segfault on full system update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:34:25 UTC 2022

On 6/24/22 04:11, Guus Snijders via arch-general wrote:
> Perhaps you already did so, but did you check the health of the host
> (filesystem & RAM)?

Host filesystem and RAM are 100% good. RAID arrays are scrubbed and
mismatch_cnt is zero. Filesystem checks fine. No RAM or any type MCE on the host.

> You mentioned a couple of errors, like segfaults and decompression errors.
> Especially that last one sounds like a corruption somewhere....
>

> As these errors happened in a VM, is it possible to copy the virtual
> harddisk to another host (hardware) and trying again?

I haven't done that before, but no reason I wouldn't be able to move the
install to hardware. If I recall VirtualBox even has a specific procedure to
do that.

> To be honest: the RAM is my first suspect, but it could very well be an io
> error on the underlying host. I really doubt that it's caused by the
> installed software.

I suspect it is a VM guest issue. This guest has been running since VirtualBox
4.X, so it is quite possible there is a guest issue. But given the issues that
have cropped up since 5.17 with the display size no longer showing the full
extent of the desktop - there is something going on with this VM. Though other
guests show the same behavior, so it may be a VirtualBox issue itself.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.