[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] RFC: Forbid dummy packages from AUR

Óscar García Amor ogarcia at moire.org
Thu Mar 24 07:39:01 UTC 2022

El jue, 24 mar 2022 a las 8:14, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public
(<arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org>) escribió:

> On 24/3/22 11:07, Brett Cornwall via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > providing the files/binaries of the package in question.

But why?

I don't quite understand why this should be banned. IMHO I think it is
something very interesting and also, as described in the RFC, has a
clear and justified use. It would be different if there was a way to
tell Pacman by configuration to assume that these dependencies are
covered, but as far as I know it is not possible. And while it is true
that you can pass the `--assume-installed` option to it, but that must
always be done at run time and if you have a high number of dummy
dependencies it can be messy.

Greetings
--
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me