[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] RFC: Forbid dummy packages from AUR

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at m2x.dev
Thu Mar 24 11:36:19 UTC 2022

On 24/03/2022 07:39, Óscar García Amor via arch-general wrote:
> But why?
 >
 > I don't quite understand why this should be banned.

It's essentially the equivalent of installing a package then -Rdd a
dependency. Would that process be encouraged in other situations?

> as described in the RFC, has a clear and justified use.

If you're referring to the shim package, there's a difference between a
"pure" dummy package that has no content and only meets a dependency,
and a shim package that implements functionality in a different way.

> if you have a high number of dummy dependencies it can be messy.

What sort of situations are there where you would have a large number of
dummy packages? And as a follow-up, why is that situation acceptable?