[arch-general] About merge for revolt into revolt-desktop

Óscar García Amor ogarcia at moire.org
Wed May 25 10:16:59 UTC 2022

Hi folks,

A few days ago a request was made to merge revolt into revolt-desktop
in AUR. At that time I already explained[1] that these were different
packages and that the merger did not make sense.

Three days ago Morten Linderud finally approved the merger of the
packages despite the two being different.

I have tried to contact him explaining why these packages should not
be merged but I have not received a response. This is a copy of the
email I sent him.

--- BEGIN --- MAIL --- COPY ---

Hi Morten,

Recently you accept merge the package revolt into revolt-desktop:

> Request #34104 has been Accepted by Foxboron [1]:
>
> [Autogenerated] Accepted merge for revolt into revolt-desktop.

But these are completely different packages:

Revolt[1] is an application written in Python (using PyGObject with
GTK and WebKit) which wraps Element[2] in a fancy desktop environment
integration. Revolt not is new, has been under development for several
years and the first commit dates back to 2016[3].

revolt-desktop[4] (it's the first time I've heard of it, to be honest)
is what appears to be a client of your own service revolt-chat[5]. It
is something quite recent, its first commit dates back to 2021[6].

As you can see, we are really talking about two different applications
that, although they are both instant messaging clients, have nothing
to do with each other. On the other hand, in case of a name conflict,
this would be caused by revolt-chat, being a much more recent
application than revolt.

Therefore I ask you to please consider this merger and revert the
changes so that we can continue working with the revolt package in
AUR.

Thank you very much in advance.

[1]: https://github.com/aperezdc/revolt
[2]: https://element.io/
[3]: https://github.com/aperezdc/revolt/commit/455c7f25ae476be26cb1839368da68f5846b242e
[4]: https://github.com/revoltchat/desktop
[5]: https://revolt.chat/
[6]: https://github.com/revoltchat/desktop/commit/309a8cea3307ed4707b26068d810c4cd02b99013

--- END --- MAIL --- COPY ---

I understand that, as people working on Arch Linux there is a lot of
work to be done, but that is no excuse, IMHO, for doing things wrong.

Could the merger of these packages be reversed?

Thanks for your time.

[1]: https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2022-April/070272.html
--
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me