[arch-general] dev-public: Future build infrastructure for Arch Linux

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:48:59 UTC 2022

On 9/5/22 04:39, Morten Linderud via arch-general wrote:
> Please see the RFC which should have all the details.
>
> https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/rfcs/-/blob/master/rfcs/0002-march.rst

Thank you,

   As long as it's a 2nd port -- that's fine, but I have a lot of v2 hardware,
i7 Sandy Bridge, etc.. that it would be ridiculous to need a forced
replacement of.

   As far as the rational "Arch used to pride itself in providing optimised
binaries out of the box.", I can't see compilation to v3 being more than an
immeasurable instruction or two different from a build for v2 in all but rare
packages. It's not like Arch is only used by a minority of users who "may"
benefit from new gcc11 introduced optimizations.

   Will there be any testing result comparisons posted anywhere on the
improvements seen between the current build and v3 builds?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.