[arch-mirrors] Seeking info on the new multi-tier mirroring system

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 05:33:17 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:20, Nathan Wayde <kumyco at konnichi.com> wrote:
> On 25/07/10 21:30, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>>
>> Please take a look at
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:NewMirrors
>> for instructions about switching to the new mirroring scheme.
>>

> Does that mean I must now apply? as an official mirror to sync from a Tier-1
> mirror?
> If so what is the procedure to apply as an official mirror to gain access to
> sync, but not have the mirror appear in any public mirrorlist, do I simply
> request it not be added?
>
> Also, that wiki lacks info so barring the above option, does anyone know
> which Tier-2 syncs most often or how up-to-date they are(guaranteed by
> policy)? In my case I'm looking for a Tier-2 in the US that syncs at least
> once a day as the ibiblio mirror hasn't sync'ed in the last 2 days AFAICT.
>
> More context: my mirror is the A.R.M arm.konnichi.com and it syncs once per
> day, no more, no less. I don't particularly care where I sync from, I just
> need it to be up-to-date every day. As I said, that wiki lacks info so if
> I'm missing something feel free to tell me to go RTMF providing you also
> point me to that manual(mailing list doesn't count).
> Thanks.

If I understood you correctly - you want to sync from some mirror,
but not become an official mirror.
There is no limitation for syncing from tier1 mirror,
they are normal mirrors with access enabled for everyone.

In USA you can sync from tier1:
rsync://rsync.gtlib.gatech.edu/archlinux/
rsync://mirror.rit.edu/archlinux/
or tier2:
rsync://mirror.umoss.org/archlinux/
rsync://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/archlinux/

Frequency of updates of any mirror can be seen at
https://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)