[arch-mirrors] Syncing

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Jul 31 16:47:22 EDT 2010

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:26:57 -0300, Carlos Carvalho
<carlos at fisica.ufpr.br> wrote:
> Pierre Schmitz (pierre at archlinux.de) wrote on 31 July 2010 15:09:
>  >On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:28:33 +0530, Piyush P Kurur <ppk at cse.iitk.ac.in>
>  >wrote:
>  >> By the way I noticed in the mirror listing at
>  >> http://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus that our http mirrors
>  >> response time is of the order of 6 seconds whereas our ftp server
>  >> seems to be doing much better.  (0.52).
>  >
>  >I probably should explain how this page works. Every hour a script
>  >downloads our core.db (~35kb) and a file called lastsync from each
>  >mirror. Our mainserver puts the current time into last one every hour.
>  >This way we get a rough idea when the mirror had synced. I also time the
>  >download of that small db file to measure the response time or speed.
>
> Could you please put the last sync column in UTC? It makes it much
> easier for admins spread worldwide.

Ok done. times are now in format Y-m-d (GMT)

> What's the meaning of the Delay column?

I added some titles. For the delay I added "Average difference between
time of probe and last sychronization". This means if I download the
lastsync file at 12:00 from your mirror and the file indicates that you
have synced at 10:00 you got a delay of 2 hours.Of course this is very
rough but should give us an idea how often you sync with the master
server (directly or indirectly). We might update the lastsync file more
often in future to get some better results. For now I would guess we
have an error of about one hour.

Thanks for your feedback btw.. This was one of the projects you do just
for fun and should never actually be used by anybody. :-)

Greetings,

Pierre