[arch-mirrors] download links to mirror.rackspace.com

Judd judd.obannon at rackspace.com
Fri Jan 2 12:05:35 UTC 2015

I can see both sides (direct vs. geobalancer). It's rare that a geo
needs to be pulled due to hardware failure, update issues, etc... but
if it does and you are pointing to the geo ip then it happens
automatically.

I guess the question I have is; does that ip get configured in scripts
anywhere once the fastest mirror script is run, or does it just save
the name that's closest? If it configures the update system to use the
ip then we should have all our geos listed; even though that means if
we need to pull a geo one of the links won't work.

If it only saves the name of mirror.rackspace.com then it should be
just the geobalancer as then no one using that mirror will actually
have an outage; on the rare occasion that we need to pull a geo their
updates may take longer.

Ultimately I think you, Florian, probably are better equipped to make
that decision as I am not familiar with the particulars of the update
and fastest mirror system in arch.

If you decide it's best to use the direct geo links they are
{dfw|iad|ord|lon|hkg|syd}.mirror.rackspace.com/pub/archlinux/

Please do let me know if you have further questions and thank you very
much for what you do,

Judd