[arch-mirrors] "symlink has no referent" errors

Michael Meier (FTP Admin) rrze-ftp-admins at fau.de
Mon Mar 16 11:10:16 UTC 2015

On 03/16/2015 11:45 AM, Florian Pritz wrote:
> As for the dwarffortress error that was a somehow left over symlink. The
> others were likely just being created when you synced. I'll see if
> that's the case and if the race condition can be fixed. I now also have
> a cronjob checking for dead symlinks.

The window for those should be pretty small though thanks to
--delay-updates, shouldn't it? However some seem to be hitting on every
sync. Maybe my upstream (gwdg.de) isn't using --delay-updates.
I just noticed there is another Tier 1 in .de by leaseweb, I'll try that
one instead.

> Are you still using rsync --copy-links?
> As described in the wiki[1] we suggest "-rtlvH --delete-after
> --delay-updates --safe-links --max-delete=1000". If possible please try
> to adapt your options.

I noticed the recommended options have changed and just adapted them.
Besides --copy-links, the previous exclude for dot-files seems to be no
longer recommended as well.
It now synced without errors - well, except
> Deletions stopped due to --max-delete limit (191203 skipped)
which of course isn't surprising, since deletions are skipped when there
is an error like the symlink problem... And that has been there for a
while, so outdated files probably haven't been deleted in the last few
months.

Thanks,
--
Michael Meier, FTP-Admin
Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
rrze-ftp-admins at fau.de
blogs.fau.de/ftp/