[arch-multilib] Why/when did we break gcc-multilib?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 8 18:30:24 EST 2011

When we originally set up gcc-multilib and lib32-glibc, we did two things:

1) Not use /lib32, but only /usr/lib32. /lib is used for libraries that
are needed during system boot, so there is no point in having /lib32 -
it was clean with /usr/lib32.

Now, we have /lib32 and binaries in there.

2) The linker was set to link against /lib/ld-linux.so.2. This allows
executing binaries compiled with 'gcc -m32' under any other
distribution. '/lib/ld-linux.so.2' is also a defacto standard for the
linker path.

Now, the linker is set to /lib32/ld-linux.so.2, making the binaries
incompatible.

Why was this changed? Even more important, why was this changed silently
without being mentioned here? This makes me quite mad, as the original
setup was nice, clean and very useful.