[arch-multilib] feature request: lib32-libwebkit

rafael ff1 rafael.f.f1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:23:59 EST 2012

2012/2/3 Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 2:41 AM, rafael ff1 <rafael.f.f1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I got all the dependencies so far (these are all in the AUR, there's a
>>> TON of dependencies to build):-
>>> depends=('lib32-icu' 'lib32-gstreamer0.10-base' 'lib32-libsoup'
>>> 'lib32-libxslt' 'lib32-enchant')
>>> makedepends=('lib32-gtk2')
>>>
>>> Building goes as far as this (just the error message):-
>>>  GEN    WebKit-1.0.gir
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "/usr/bin/g-ir-scanner", line 46, in <module>
>>>    sys.exit(scanner_main(sys.argv))
>>>  File "/usr/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 407, in
>>> scanner_main
>>>    ss = create_source_scanner(options, args)
>>>  File "/usr/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 332, in
>>> create_source_scanner
>>>    ss.parse_files(filenames)
>>>  File "/usr/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 249, i
>>> n parse_files
>>>    self._parse(headers)
>>>  File "/usr/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 282, i
>>> n _parse
>>>    stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
>>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
>>>    errread, errwrite)
>>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1228, in _execute_child
>>>    raise child_exception
>>> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>>> make[1]: *** [WebKit-1.0.gir] Error 1
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/local/aur/lib32-libwebkit/src/webkit-1.6.1
>>> /build-gtk2'
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>
>>> Anyone has any ideas? I'm outputting the entire thing to an error file
>>> overnight (took my dual core 2.4 GHz laptop about an hour to reach
>>> this point, not counting building the deps).
>> As I said 6 months ago, this problem is related to python. Currently
>> Archlinux doesn't have a multilib package for python and the main
>> issue is that python is not multilib-friendly. Anyway, my idea is: try
>> to create a python-multilib or lib32-python package.
>
> Apologies, I'm probably dense, but how is this problem related to
> python? My previous searching indicates that we did have lib32-python
> in the AUR at some point, but it got deleted -
> http://www.linux-archive.org/discussion-about-arch-user-repository-aur-aur-general-archlinux-org/486994-please-help-create-package-lib32-gobject-introspection.html

The binary (/usr/bin/g-ir-scanner) and libraries (/usr/lib/*) are part
of the package gobject-introspection. The package lib32-webkit
requires a lib32- of gobject-introspection. But I never had success
with this package, as I always end up this error
(http://pastebin.com/kh9zYS7A), which looks like a need for a 32 bit
libs/modules of python.
Python, on the other hand, is not much multilib friendly (if I'm not
wrong, this expression was used by someone for python support in a
feature request for multilib). You set libdir to /usr/lib32, but
"${prefix}/lib/python2.7/site-packages" were hardcoded in it,
therefore ignoring /usr/lib32... Well, don't know. I gave up, hoping
some TU from [multilib] would adopt this cause. :)

About the dead package lib32-python from AUR, I was its maintainer.
The package was a copy-and-paste of libs of i686 package, but it
didn't make sense as target source codes (that you would compile)
would search /usr/bin/python2, which was not patched to use /usr/lib32
folder... So this package was useless.

rafael