[arch-multilib] feature request: lib32-libwebkit

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 18:11:03 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 6:23 AM, rafael ff1 <rafael.f.f1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/2/3 Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com>:

>>> As I said 6 months ago, this problem is related to python. Currently
>>> Archlinux doesn't have a multilib package for python and the main
>>> issue is that python is not multilib-friendly. Anyway, my idea is: try
>>> to create a python-multilib or lib32-python package.
>>
>> Apologies, I'm probably dense, but how is this problem related to
>> python? My previous searching indicates that we did have lib32-python
>> in the AUR at some point, but it got deleted -
>> http://www.linux-archive.org/discussion-about-arch-user-repository-aur-aur-general-archlinux-org/486994-please-help-create-package-lib32-gobject-introspection.html
>
> The binary (/usr/bin/g-ir-scanner) and libraries (/usr/lib/*) are part
> of the package gobject-introspection. The package lib32-webkit
> requires a lib32- of gobject-introspection. But I never had success
> with this package, as I always end up this error
> (http://pastebin.com/kh9zYS7A), which looks like a need for a 32 bit
> libs/modules of python.
> Python, on the other hand, is not much multilib friendly (if I'm not
> wrong, this expression was used by someone for python support in a
> feature request for multilib). You set libdir to /usr/lib32, but
> "${prefix}/lib/python2.7/site-packages" were hardcoded in it,
> therefore ignoring /usr/lib32... Well, don't know. I gave up, hoping
> some TU from [multilib] would adopt this cause. :)
>
> About the dead package lib32-python from AUR, I was its maintainer.
> The package was a copy-and-paste of libs of i686 package, but it
> didn't make sense as target source codes (that you would compile)
> would search /usr/bin/python2, which was not patched to use /usr/lib32
> folder... So this package was useless.

Thanks for the explanation. I built a lib32-python in /opt/python32
but yes, it seems to hardcode references to /usr/lib/python in any
case.

I have trouble believing that lib32-libwebkit (which AFAIK must exist
in other linux distros if realstudio is to run properly on them at
all) requires something unbuildable though. Rushing off to a sports
game, may take a look at debs/rpms later on. I know how to extract
from them, but do they have build instructions embedded like our
PKGBUILDs?