[arch-ports] 32bit support

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Mon Sep 19 20:51:31 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 05:03:48PM -0400, seshu yamajala wrote:

>    ok, so i tried it out. It works! I am gonna write a bash script that
>    will setup a 32bit chroot. Mr. Green has written a barebones pkgbuild
>    for dchroot too. I haven't tried dchroot yet, but I will soon. Also,
>    i'm trying to figure out which packages can be cut from the chroot
>    env, because i think it would be a waste of space and bandwidth to
>    download all the packages needed for a base install if the user isn't
>    going to actually boot into the system. I was thinking about getting
>    rid of things like reiserfsprogs, initscripts, wireless_tools, that
>    kind of stuff. Would this be a good idea? Or should I just leave them.

I think that's probably a good idea to leave out those things if you
actually don't plan on booting.  Would there ever be a time that an arch64
user would want to boot into a full 32 bit OS?  I don't know how you were
going to let users install the 32 bit compat packages.  Maybe if you used a
group and then depended on the group (I can't remember if you're allowed to
do that), then you could have a 32bit-compat-base and 32bit-full, which
installed a compatibility 32 bit chroot or a fully bootable 32 bit system
respectively.

Jason

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.