[arch-ports] [ArchPPC] Help regarding the install procedure

James Turner james at nullstudios.com
Fri Jun 16 13:11:35 EDT 2006

> james at nullstudios.com wrote:
>>> Except for the devfs vs udev issues, the guide still fully
>>> applies. It
>>> may be that you run into problems if you use the sample yaboot.conf.
>>> Did you use ofpath to determine your "device" and "partition" lines?
>>>
>>> You may try the latest snapshot which is here:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/iso/snapshots/2006-06-14_archppc.iso.bz2
>>>
>>> It still has a few flaws which need to be fixed:
>>> * does not create device nodes for harddrives use instead:
>>>
>>>   cd /dev
>>>   mknod hda b 3 0
>>>   mknod hda1 b 3 1
>>>   mknod hda2 b 3 2
>>>   mknod hda3 b 3 3
>>>   mknod hdb  b 4 1
>>>
>>> a.s.o
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>> Alex, Thanks for your help.  I did manage to get ArchLinux installed
>> just fine last night.  I followed the above procedure.  I also had to
>> mknod nvram c 10 144, so yaboot would install correctly and I had to
>> run modprobe loop so the kernel would install correctly.  I can
>> proudly
>> say I am writing this from ArchLinux on my 12in PowerBook.
>>

> Glad to hear you were successful! :D
>
> Just now I uploaded yet another snapshot:
>
> ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/iso/snapshots/2006-06-16_archppc.iso.bz2
>
> The hardware detection should work fine plus /dev is now properly
> filled. What's left is to modify the "graphical" setup script, which I
> am in the middle of doing right now. So whenever you feel like it try
> the newer ones too.
>

> Cheers!
>
> Alex

I tried the new iso with out much luck.  It detected all my hardware
correctly and populated /dev just fine.  My problem was trying to run
quickinst.  Since wget isn't installed I tried the version located
in /arch.  For whatever reason it was unable to resolve
ftp.archlinuxppc.org.  I double checked my /etc/resolv.conf and it
had the correct nameservers listed.  I used dhcpd to configure my
network device if that means anything.  I tried manually setting it
but route is also not installed.  Anyone have any ideas?