[arch-ports] PKGBUILD and package release thoughts

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 11 18:53:41 EST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 05:30:51PM -0500, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> These builds are starting to look very un-KISS. Approximately what
> percentage of PKGBUILDs are going to require architecture-specific
> code like this? Perhaps it would be better to store multiple versions
> of the PKGBUILD after all --ie: PKGBUILD-i686 PKGBUILD-x86_64 in the
> abs directory. This would be a pain when updating duplicate code in
> each PKGBUILD, but the overall look per PKGBUILD would be far more
> elegant. It depends how often there is going to be a problem.

No PKGBUILD needs these things.  It's only if you want them to support
multiple architectures.  If we're going to have seperate PKGBUILDs, then
we're really just maintaining multiple distros.  We might as well just keep
Arch i686 and all migrate to Arch64 when i686s become scarce.

> Perhaps its just ugly bash syntax and we should think about doing
> PKGBUILDs in Python. Yeah, I wish too.

I don't know if it'd make them any cleaner.  You would need to describe all
the same commands and check for architecture changes there too.

> Dusty

Jason

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.