[arch-ports] What's needed for an official port

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 20 18:47:48 EST 2006

I've been asked a couple of times about what the port people can do to make
their ports official.  What I'm trying to do here is list all of the things
that must be done before we can have our first official port.

A few things need to happen on the Arch Linux developer side:
- makepkg needs support for arch=()
- the db-* scripts need to be updated for multiple architectures
- we need more CVS tags*
- the pkgrel-<arch> changes need to be implemented in makepkg and gensync**

A few things need to happen on the port side as well:
- a good number of packages that can be easily integrated into the official
PKGBUILDs (which means changes are marked).  I'd even go so far as to say
that most packages have to be rebuilt against the merged PKGBUILDs.
- a working install cd
- pacbuild nodes***

Is there anything I've missed?

Jason

*: We don't need to make them, just figure out what they will be
**: Should this one be in there?  Strictly speaking, it's not necessary,
but it would really help cut down on unnecessary updates for other arches
***: Also not strictly necessary, but I think it'd help for non-x86_64
developers to try building their changes on x86_64.

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.