[arch-ports] A few PPC queries

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Wed Mar 7 07:21:50 EST 2007

graeme burton wrote:
> It seemed very odd that the
> 2006-08-28_archppc-base.iso image doesn't contain a
> kernel to install. However, I chrooted and did a
> pacman update and all went well.

That is the usual way of installing a kernel anyway. The cd has only
packages that are in base/  and thus lacks a kernel. You could
potentially use the one on the cd though and make a new initrd. Even
though you could, that's pretty ugly. ;)

> I got the following error when trying to install
> xfce4-goodies
>
> checking package integrity... done.
> checking for file conflicts...
> error: the following file conflicts were found:
>   xfce4-showdesktop-plugin:
> /opt/xfce4/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins/libshowdesktop.so:
> exists in filesystem
>   xfce4-windowlist-plugin:
> /opt/xfce4/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins/libwindowlist.so:
> exists in filesystem
>
> However, xarchiver-0.4.6-2 and xfce4-dev-tools-4.4.0-1
> installed OK.

Some of xfce's stuff became obsolete a while ago, Benoit should fix this.

> Also, opera crashes after about 5 seconds as follows
>
> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD
> cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD
> cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> Segmentation fault

Opera is about the only binary blob we have in our repository. In fact
it "should" run fine but all of us have the same problems. I personally
don't think it's the missing Java runtime environment, on i686 it works
just as well even without.
Probably something in Archppc is too up to date for Opera to run with.
Opera is still built with gcc 2.95 for example... Please consider using
another browser, Opera is no priority at all for us for it is binary and
we even might remove it after having all these troubles.

Side question, do you run it on KDE?

I would strongly suggest Seamonkey or Kazehakase, where the latter is a
very lightweigth gtk2 based browser around Gecko. It might not at all be
as fast as Opera but should eat not as much ressources as Firefox and co.

> If there's anything I can do to help on this distro,
> I'd be happy to do what I can.

Sure, package maintainance of packages in extra is always a problem. We
need help there.

Cheers,

Alex