[arch-ports] Arch32 mirror size

Erich Eckner arch at eckner.net
Thu Jun 8 15:53:59 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 08.06.2017 15:19, Tyzoid D wrote:
> I was performing some server maintaince earlier, and I was shocked to find
> the size of the 32bit repo was riviling that of the mainline repo,
> containing both 32bit and 64bit packages. I had thought that the mirror
> would be about half the size, given that there are about half as many
> packages:
>
> tyler at cdn:/var/www$ du -sh 32.arlm.tyzoid.com arlm.tyzoid.com
> 54G    32.arlm.tyzoid.com
> 58G    arlm.tyzoid.com
>
> tyler at cdn:/var/www/32.arlm.tyzoid.com$ find . -name '*.sig' | wc -l
> 14026
>
> tyler at cdn:/var/www/arlm.tyzoid.com$ find . -name '*.sig' | wc -l
> 34090
>
> While not a huge deal, I am a bit surprised by this amount of disk space
> used by packages.
>
> Just to confirm:
> tyler at cdn:/var/www/32.arlm.tyzoid.com/web$ du -sh *
> 2.7G    archisos
> 51G    i686
> 856K    irc-logs
>
> Anyone have any ideas what might be going on here? Is this to be expected?
> or is this an oversight/bug?

well, the issue currently is/was:

I'm currently trying to rebuild all packages available - so far ~60%
success - these reside in "staging" -> factor of 1.6

2nd: My script was somewhat buggy, not removing older versions from
"staging" (should be fixed, now) -> even bigger factor

Also note, that "any" packages are not duplicated on a mulit-arch
mirror, so your estimate of 50% is too low.

> Thanks,
> Tyler

cheers,
Erich