[arch-ports] Phasing out i686 support

David Daniel david.daniel at pixy.ch
Fri Jun 9 08:43:28 UTC 2017

Hi Erich and Tyzoid

Thanks for your replies! I am glad things aren't so final. One reason
for our decision to use Arch Linux is its rolling release model.
Another one is pkgbuild that makes package creation easy and AUR that
provides a lot of additional packages. Another reason is the
possibility to create a slim system without unnecessary overhead... and
so on ;-)
Concerning stability I often encountered that newer software runs more
stable than older "more stable" versions, often in newer versions bugs
are eliminated - of course if only new features are provided this is
not the case, I just think its more complicated as "newer software
equals more buggy behaviour". And after all we also develop software
and its great to have recent versions available - imagine using Debian,
if the team wants to switch to Qt5.9 they probably have to wait for
another 5 years until they can have it, by that time it is already
deprecated (this is exaggerated, I know ;-) ).

Thank you!
Cheers
Dave