[arch-proaudio] Audio packages moved from AUR to community

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Sat Jul 28 22:00:33 UTC 2018

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 23:13:59 +0200 SpotlightKid wrote:
> when you move packages from AUR to community and use my PKGBUILD files
> as a basis, I would appreciate it, if you acknowledged my work by
> putting an appropriate "Maintainer:" line in the PKGBUILD.

this is presuming that the person who added the package in question to the official repos first searched in the AUR for a PKGBUILD and copied it exactly but removing the maintainer name - is it inconceivable that a new PKGBUILD was written for this program without searching the AUR? - the OP did not mention which package that is, so it is quite likely that no one, perhaps not even dave, knows what you are referring to; and no way for anyone else to try determining any similarities there might be between them (if that is indeed an important thing to determine)

secondly, i dont see anything in the guidelines that requires an AUR maintainer to be credited in the official repos; even in cases where a package is copied verbatim - im not an archlinux maintainer so i could be wrong about that; but one could easily imagine it being official policy to denote only official devs and TUs as maintainers of official packages, and it would be difficult to argue against the rationale of such a policy

if or when the previous AUR packager is credited in an official package, it is probably purely a courtesy - i dont think there is any such policy requiring or preventing that - it seems like the OP is assuming that something was done improperly outside some protocol; but i dont think that any official protocol prescribes anything about it