[arch-projects] Proposal for additional gcc packages

Ben Mazer ben at benmazer.net
Tue Aug 24 22:18:45 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 20:09, Jason Chu wrote:
> > It seems having one GCC package actually follows Arch's philosophy
> > better. Just like we don't separate Python and Python-tk. We choose the
> > best options (in this case, languages). Another example where we choose
> > one "big" package is with -dev libraries.
>
> Python is slightly different, but you do have something of a point there.
>
> The example of a "big" package being -dev was only recently and only
> because no one wanted to update a swath of -dev packages for xfce4.

Your other points are technical, which I have no knowledge on, so I will
only comment on this.

I was referring to including the development headers in packages. In
most distros, there are things like "gtk2" and "gtk2-devel". We include
both in one package. At least, I think you misunderstood. I'm pretty
sure this has been going on long before XFCE4.

	Ben
--
Now remember, we can't ALL sign with an X