[arch-projects] Proposal for additional gcc packages

Michael Baehr mbaehr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 21:39:04 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:18:45 -0500, Ben Mazer <ben at benmazer.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 20:09, Jason Chu wrote:
> > > It seems having one GCC package actually follows Arch's philosophy
> > > better. Just like we don't separate Python and Python-tk. We choose the
> > > best options (in this case, languages). Another example where we choose
> > > one "big" package is with -dev libraries.
> >
> > Python is slightly different, but you do have something of a point there.
> >
> > The example of a "big" package being -dev was only recently and only
> > because no one wanted to update a swath of -dev packages for xfce4.
>
> Your other points are technical, which I have no knowledge on, so I will
> only comment on this.
>
> I was referring to including the development headers in packages. In
> most distros, there are things like "gtk2" and "gtk2-devel". We include
> both in one package. At least, I think you misunderstood. I'm pretty
> sure this has been going on long before XFCE4.

I personally agree with Arch's practice on this.  I can see why
separating out the -devel packages is useful for distros that have
much more of an "end-user" and not a "developer" focus, but as far as
the average Arch user is concerned, it's much more useful to always
have the development headers and libraries included with a package.
--
Michael Baehr - Arch Linux GNUstep Geek