[arch-projects] Pluggable wrapper

Judd Vinet jvinet at zeroflux.org
Tue Aug 31 15:51:50 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 12:22:23PM -0500, Ben Mazer wrote:
> Just a question, is Judd on this list? He really should be. I mean, we
> are discussing the direction of his program.

Yea, I lurk.  :)

I'm kind of a one-thing-at-a-time type of guy.  That way stuff gets
done.  In reality, it still turns into a 5-or-10-things-at-a-time
process, but I'm very picky about which 5-10 things I work on, and other
things have been in the loop for far longer, so they get precedence.

In my opinion, this discussion should stick to being just discussion, at
least until libpacman is ready.  Then we'll actually have an API we can
build off of.  Baby steps.  :)

Although it is good to have some foresight.  If we can all convince each
other that an elaborate plugin system is what pacman really needs, then
we can shape the libpacman API to prepare for that.

But I'm still not convinced.  To me, a package manager should do a
small number of things and do them very right.  I don't know if a plugin
system would be worth the time and effort.  Maybe we should try and come
up with a list of 5-10 solid pluggable ideas, ones that wouldn't deserve
to go into pacman proper.  We don't need to implement them all, but it
would help to justify the need.

- J