[arch-projects] Groovy ant-builder

Andy Roberts mail at andy-roberts.net
Wed Apr 13 18:08:34 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 13 Apr 2005 20:14, Dusty Phillips wrote:

> Most articles I've read have been anti-groovy scripting, and I doubt
> this would become a standard either within the Java community (ie:
> where ant currently dominates) or across all projects that need build
> management.

> I just find it interesting, and I must confess that I
> prefer it.

Well, that's what it's all about is it?! :)

You're right, Ant has become the de facto standard in Java projects. I never
try writing one from hand because it's too much faff (although if I
*actually* learned the syntax, then I may fare better!!). I just load up
Eclipse, import the project from the file system and then it's possible to
export Eclipse's generated Ant file. Sure, it's not customised, but it gives
everything I need. Netbeans does a similar thing.

To be fair, I've seen more complex ant files than the example you posted! I
was impressed by the Groovy approach you've taken. If your goal is to simply
type less to create a build script, then you can consider this approach a
success. However, I wouldn't say it's any easier than the Ant approach.

arooaroo