[arch-projects] Keeping the list alive!

z4ziggy z4ziggy at user-contributions.org
Mon Aug 1 10:56:59 EDT 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 17:33, Andy Roberts wrote:
> I don't quite understand what you mean. As I've tried to clarify on the
> forums, I'm not a Java loyalist by anymeans. However, you seem to imply
> that a GTK front-end via a python script is more in sync with Arch's KISS
> philosophy than a Java front-end. Surely it has everything to do with their
> usability. Installing Lazypac would be no more taxing than Jacman as pacman
> will sort out all the dependencies for you. Unless you're saying that use
> of Free software is also key in KISS? Or are you just meaning that Jacman
> is more complex to use than the forthcoming front-end from Xerces2? I
> dunno, I'll stop speculating now!

im guessing its a mix of many things for me. 1st, the JRE size. 2nd, pygtk is
usually installed already on most base systems and there are much more
applications for this env (ofcourse we could argue that this will never
change with ppl like me using this excuse, but thats for another debate ;) ).
3rd, yes, closed-source applications (and in this case - programming
language) always makes me "ignore them by default". unless there is a REALLY
good reason for using them (which i still havnt found, in all my 20 years
programming)... and there is a private 4th - as an ex-java programmer (both
on AS/400 and x86) i consider Java applications to be slower and memory
consuming monsters. this might had been changed in the recent years, but
thats the impression i had from my own java programs.

i try my best to keep myself out of those "programming language" debates since
i know my perspective of things is not shared among the majority. so to close
the matter, i fully agree we might not see eye-to-eye, but this is only my
own private conclusion :)

> I'm going to use Archie this week to try and install Linux on a friend's
> PC. I originally tried Fedora because I thought that would just
> automagically install, and he's a bit of a newbie. However, it wouldn't
> even start the installer! His laptop is pretty new, so I expect it has some
> interesting hardware on it that could be causing issues. It's an AMD 64
> chip too. However, I'll try Archie this time and see how that goes.

i can only recommend manual install atm. ie, dirsync or similar to copy the
iso contents to an empty partition. iphitus is finishing his gui hd-installer
(someone mentioned pygtk? :-), hopefully in time for next major release
(Vika).

--
regards,
Elia Yehuda, aka z4ziggy