[arch-projects] window manager thought

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:52:12 EDT 2005

I can't wait for this perfect wm to come along. Don't call it phrakwm,
because I'm sick of all the window managers with 'wm' in the title.
Phrakstep, maybe, although there's enough of them out there with step
in the title too... maybe Phrakdows, mwahahaha!

After getting tired of wmii layouts and going back to wmi at home, I
started thinking about another wm. I keep coming back to this one:

http://pywm.sourceforge.net/

I never tried it, because it won't compile against the latest fltk and
I'm not good enough with C++ to fix it (mind you, I only spent about
half hour on it... and that entailed patching pyrex amoung other
things...).

I like the idea though... a Window Manager 'object' that can be used
to create any number of window managers in python... I also looked at
python-xlib... Thought somebody might be interested in the idea.

Maybe I'll end up scripting JD4X one of these days too. bleh. I always
think I *might* be interested in writing one of these things, but it
never seems interesting enough to actually start. Just nothing
existing is good enough.

If only wmi-10 worked nicer with java apps. :(

Dusty